20 April 2010

Goodbye Grandpa

Two weeks ago, my maternal grandpa passed away after 5 years on oxygen and 4 consecutive weeks in the hospital, in and out of the ICU. I was so blessed to have the change to visit with him one last time on Easter weekend. He was really weak, but lucid and in his usual good humor. I love him so much and I will miss him greatly.

One of the things I love the most about Grandpa was his ability to love unconditionally. He did not judge you based on your choices. He loved you first and judged the choices, if he judged anything at all. Another thing I love about him was his sense of humor. He loved to joke around and find the humor in any situation, unless it was sacred.

In 2001, Grandpa returned to full activity in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was sealed to his family for time and all eternity in December of that year. When I lived with him and Grandma the summer after I graduated I discovered his love and devotion for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and serving others around him. I gained a testimony that big miracles do happen.

Another thing that happened the summer I lived with Grandma and Grandpa was I was able to see for myself how much they loved each other and still enjoyed each other's company, even after nearly 50 years of marriage. It was fun to watch them flirt and tease each other, something that we don't always get to see at large family gatherings.

Grandpa died one day shy of celebrating his and Grandma's 55th wedding anniversary. The funeral was held the following Tuesday and was a beautiful service. I am so thankful to have had him be a part of my life and love me so much. I will miss him, but I can only imagine the wonderful things he is accomplishing without the hinderments of an ailing body among the spirits who have already passed from this life. Love you, Grandpa.

2 comments:

BECKY said...

What a wonderful relationship you had with him. How wonderful that you are an eternal family.

Scott and Amme said...

So sorry to hear of his passing. But I am glad you got to spend some time with him over Easter.