08 January 2014

Tracks in the Snow

I like to shovel snow. I REALLY like to shovel snow. My favorite part of winter is watching it snow......and shoveling the snow. I'm not much for playing in the snow, but I like to shovel it. I have even shoveled half the  sidewalks and driveways on my block on occasion just so I can be outside while it is snowing and do something that keeps me warm.

Each of our kiddos has a snow shovel just their size so they can help me if they feel the need to be outside when I am working. The older two mostly use the shovels to build mountains in the yard. The littlest one wants to actually help. I'm sure you can imagine how much help a 3 year old is in clearing a driveway or the sidewalk, but he sure wants to help.

Today he was "helping" and I told him several times to keep the snow off the driveway Mommy had already shoveled. He turned, looked at me, and dumped another shovel-full of snow on the driveway. When I finally told him I wanted the driveway clean and to put the snow in the yard it was like a little light went on and he said, "Clean? No snow? Okay." Then, with shovel in hand, he plodded over to the snow covered sidewalk and proceeded to scoop snow from the sidewalk into the yard from the corner of the driveway to the side fence (the length of about two houses.) Not clearing the sidewalk, but removing a little bit every few steps until he had covered part of the entire sidewalk. He left me a very steady trail of shovel tracks in the snow. I was so touched by his desire to help and his diligence in trying to follow directions. This time, clearing our long sidewalk took less effort and determination then it usually does.

I like to shovel snow and maybe my children will also like to shovel snow. For now, I am grateful for this bright spot in my day with a little boy who did his best to help given his current level of understanding.

No comments: