- Cereal
- Hot Dogs
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Candy
- Cheese or Cheese Sticks
- Milk or Juice
- Grapes, Raisins, Craisins
- Cookies
- Zucchini Bread
- Muffins
- Pancakes, Waffles, French Toast
- Pasta - spaghetti, chicken alfredo, etc.
- Yogurt
- Chicken (Dinosaur) Nuggets
- Hamburgers or Cheeseburgers from McDonald's
- Ice Cream
- Olives or Carrots
- Pizza
- Stir Fry
- Rice with Sauces
However, when it comes to trying something new I usually have a few faces pulled and declarations of "I don't like it" before Michael and I can coax them to try it. Last night I tried a new rice dish with meat and cheese and the children liked it so much that they asked for seconds, a rare occurrence when it comes to a new dish. The really nice thing about it was that it is a low sodium, low sugar, low cholesterol dish, not eggs, no nuts, and if you have a gluten allergy you can substitute a gluten free soup, that is absolutely delicious. I found it in the Stake Cookbook our last stake put together in February of this year. The recipe is:
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake (Diana W., C.H. 4th Ward)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/3 c water
3/4 c uncooked, regular white rice
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
4 med chicken breasts, boneless & skinless (I used 1 large and 1 medium one and cut it up into bite size chunks)
Mix soup, water, rice, onion powder and black pepper in a two quart shallow baking dish (with a lid if possible, aluminum foil works as a cover as well). Top with chicken. Sprinkle chicken with additional pepper. cover and bake at 375 F for 45 or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is done. Top with cheese. Serves 4 to 6. This recipe can be doubled with no problems (just use a bigger pan so that the depth of the dish is similar to the regular recipe.)
We will probably be having this more often because the kids love it and it is super easy to make. I am so excited to find something different that both the kids and parents can enjoy.

1 comment:
Peter has been going through an "I don't like that" phase. It's kind of a bummer because he used to eat whatever we put in front of him. A few things that he will always eat that are also healthy are avocados and tomatoes. He eats those like candy.
Post a Comment