02 February 2009

Giving and Receiving Service

Over the last few months I have had the opportunity to not only give service, but be on the receiving end as well. I think sometimes we forget that it is almost as beneficial to others to have the opportunity to serve as it is for them to receive service.

When a sign-up sheet is sent around asking for help I sign up as often as I am able. It is very gratifying and inspiring to give to those who are in need. The more I look for and provide service to others the more I find myself wanting to serve others. Sometimes when I am looking for someone to serve I forget that the best service I can do someone is allow them to serve me.

A couple of weeks ago I had an appointment that Michael needed to go with me and I needed someone to stay with my children while they took naps. The hard part was that most people I know had kids taking naps at the same time as my children take theirs. The thougth occurred to me to ask one of the older ladies in our ward who I have had the opportunity to get to know to come over. Since this particular sister is in her eighties she does not have the physically capacity to do as much as she used. However, she is very sweet and thoughtful and is fully active and capable mentally and emotionally. After consulting with her husband, she was very willing to come over and sit in our home while my children took their naps. I was so grateful for her willingness to serve and for her friendship.

When we arrived home from our appointment I was filled with a feeling of strength, gratitude, and peace. And, I became more aware of the importance of allowing others to serve us instead of just serving others all of the time.



No comments: