On Sundays, we watch the Animated Scripture movies and today we watched Saul of Tarsus. The story of Saul is that Saul of Tarsus captures, persecutes, and executes the followers of Jesus Christ until he receives a visio from Jesus Christ. Christ asks Saul why he is persecuting Jesus and his followers, and subsequently takes away Sauls sight. When Saul enters the city he is found by a follower of Christ who holds the Priesthood and is healed by this man. After realizing that Christ is real and compassionate Saul stops persecuting the followers of Christ, starts preaching the teachings of Jesus Christ, and changes his name to Paul. He says something to the effect that a new beginning needs a new name and he is no longer Saul of Tarsus, he is Paul.
While watching the video, Benjamin says, "You can change your name sometimes, can't you? I'm going to chane my name to . . . ."
To which Mom responds, "You can't change your name unless I say so!" But Dad wanted to know what Benjamin would change his name to.
So Mom asks, "If you could change your name, what would you change your name to?"
Benjamin asks, "Dad, what's your whole name?"
Dad says, "Michael Hardy."
Benjamin declares, "I would change my name to Michael Hardy."
"That's my name! If you change your name to that you will be me."
"I think I will be Michael Genas."
Mom inquires, "Michael Jonas or Michael Genius?"
"Michael Genius. Then I can always be a Genius!" So I guess if Benjamin could change his name, we have an official genius in our family.
I don't know what else Benjamin learns from the story of Saul of Tarsus, but I think he is learning that sometimes changes are so significant that we need new names to adequately describe them.
The Main Event
1 day ago

1 comment:
SOOO funny and interesting what kids take from things!
Post a Comment