07 June 2009

Aloe Vera Plants Don't Like Sunshine

My mom gave us an aloe vera plant in November. I didn't water it for at least six months. I forget it was in the living room, honestly. After I rediscovered it while rearranging the house I took the plant down to the kitchen so that it could get some TLC. I even put it on the windowsill to make sure it received plenty of sunlight and made sure I watered it every ten days or so. My poor aloe vera plant did not like the treatment it was receiving and turned a yucky black. Worried that I had killed the poor thing I pulled it off the windowsill and put it in the shadows on the counter. Slowly, but surely, the plant regained its vibrant green color. Thus, I have learned that aloe vera plants can survive with next to no water, but they will not do well in direct sunlight. An unplanned, scientific experiment that taught me an unexpected lesson.

No comments: