20 September 2008

I went Domestic!




A couple of weeks ago my friend Jenna gave me an amazing gift. She taught me how to simplify canning (and do it properly so that your jars seal.) Since then I have done more canning than I thought possible. With my sister Mary's help, we canned peaches and peach jam. By myself, I made and canned salsa, pumpkin, and apple pie filling. We also made peach pie filling and freezer jam. I really appreciate her taking the time to help me with this newly acquired skill even though she was on vacation when she came to visit.




Benjamin wanted to help us do the canning. Most of the time I had him supervise, but he was good at helping sort the peaches into the ripe, not so ripe, and too ripe. I appreciate his helpfulness and his desire to learn.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

So what is this new way of canning? I love the food, but it is a lot of work. I was glad when the apples frozed even though I am out of appl pie filling. This is the first year in a long time that I haven't canned. The finished product is worth all the work.

Wendy said...

P.S. When you are ready to can meat let me know. It is easier than anything I have ever canned. You will need a canner pressure cooker for meat. The chicken is the best and is so convenient and alot better than the canned chicken in the store.