Cabela's is mostly a hunting, fishing, outdoor clothing kind of store. The Cabela's closest to us also has a restaurant in it, but we go to look at the animals. It is like going to the zoo except you get a lot closer look at the animals in a smaller space (not as much walking and trying to spot the animals). At the front of the store is the "Aquarium" that contains fish native to the United States that are alive and well (Trout, Pike, Bass, and Catfish to name a few). At the base of the mountain are more live fish living in a "stream" that the children can fish (okay, so that costs $0.25 a handful) and upstairs they have a firing range with laser guns and targets.
I took Benjamin and Bekah yesterday to get out of the house and purchase something for our 72 hour kits. By the way, they have a two burner camp stove for 50% off. This time I had my camera with me and I remembered to take some pictures. Usually, I forget it because my mentality is that we are going to "the store" rather than we are going to "look at the animals."


I forget who this guy is suppose to be. All I know is that when you push a button he moves his head and "talks" about wildlife facts. The children love to push the button and see what he does. Another kid friendly interaction activity.
I wouldn't want one of these guys coming at me anytime soon. Ouch!
Most of the displays have a variety of animals from one geological landscape as you can see with the River Otter standing in front of the Mule Deer. On the mountain at the center of the store they have one section for the Arctic animals, another section for forest animals, and a third section for more desert like animals. There are also some really BIG fish on display in the fishing supplies section. They even have an African (I think) exhibit with Lions, Zebras, Kudus, etc.
This Elk is coming down the "canyon" in the middle of the mountain. I didn't remember my camera until we were back down at the base of the mountain so I didn't get a picture of the Caribou coming up the "canyon" at the top of the mountain.
Feeding the fish in the "stream"
Catfish. There was an albino (white) catfish as well, but I had a hard time taking a good picture of it because the catfish weren't moving around much and the other fish were.
The fishes eyes don't really glow. The brightness is a reflection of the flash on my camera.

Checking out the fish in the Aquarium. "I saw a big fish, Mom!" exclaims Benjamin upon entering the fish tank area.
Bekah wanted to touch them through the glass. I wonder what she would do if she could feel how scaly they really are. Gross!On Wednesday, I went to look at some of the things that were going on sale this week without Benjamin. He was playing at a friend's house. When I stopped to ask one of the workers a question he asked me if I was lost (not in so many words, but that was the general meaning) since I was at Cabela's with my daughter. I don't think he realized that my daughter loves the animals and I am just as capable of shopping for outdoor equipment as a man. Oh well, his reaction made me smile because he was just trying to be helpful even if he didn't know me very well.
When I went back yesterday, Benjamin begged me to taking him shooting and the range on the second floor. I do not like guns, but my philosophy is that if they have correct exposure as to what guns are suppose to be used for and how to handle them properly and with respect then my children will be less likely to abuse or misuse them later in life. So I took Benjamin and Bekah to the shooting range and we even hit a few targets which made the target (animal, can, bush, etc.) move. The funny part of the story is the strange looks people gave this woman in her dress coat helping her two small children shoot targets at the shooting range. Is there some kind of bias that I am not aware of? Why is it so strange for a mother to share something with her children? Oh well, maybe it is because my children are so young.
I find some people's reactions entertaining when I do something out of the ordinary. All I can say is "I was ordinary once, I didn't like it."
We have a lot of fun visiting Cabela's and find it just as amusing as a museum or zoo, especially when it is really cold or really hot outside.




1 comment:
I love to see them looking into the tank of fish... how fun. :)
Post a Comment