I've realized that there are something I am incredibly cheap about.
- I don't pay for a haircut unless it is in goods and services. I cut my children's hair and Michael cuts his own hair, I have even cut my own hair once or twice.
- I won't buy fruits or vegetables for more than $1 or $2 a pound, depending on the product.
- I shop in the day old bakery goods before I buy them fresh, and I only buy baked goods when I don't have time to make it myself.
- I take pictures of arts and crafts and figure out how to make them myself for less than half of the price.
- I only buy name brand items when they are on sale for like 50% off.
- I do a lot of my shopping online so that I know I am getting the best deal possible for a specific item.
- I use the library to checkout books and read them to determine if they are worth buying, then I find the best deal on said books before buying them.
- I do everything I can to avoid paying shipping on things that I buy online. Whether that means using a coupon, trying a new store, or only buying an item from a store that offers free shipping.
- I usually buy the store or generic brand item, rather than the big brand item because the difference is minimal and the price adds up fast.
In order to reduce our monthly expenses, we have made some other adjustments as well.
- We refinanced our car which is halfway paid off to lower our monthly payment.
- We changed insurance companies because we found a company that offered a better price and better service.
- We pay off our smallest debts first, then we pay off the debt with the greatest percentage rate.
- We pay extra to our debts each our month so that they are paid off quicker and accumulate less interest.
- We save a little bit each paycheck for emergencies and future expenses.
We have also tried to emphasize the reuse, recycle, and don't waste.
- Plastic sacks become garbage can liners.
- Empty detergent buckets are used for hauling dirt, storing potatoes, playing in the sandbox, or being turned into stools.
- Gift bags, boxes, and tissue paper are saved for future use.
- We recycle everything we easily can.
- Clothes are worn until they don't fit or are worn out, and then they are given to someone who can use them, saved for future use, or turned into rags.
- We try to throw away as little food as possible and only make as much as we can reasonably eat before the food goes bad.
Saving money takes time and effort. And while I am not as much of a penny pincher as I could be, we try to do the best with what we have and make the most of our life together.

No comments:
Post a Comment