25 January 2009

RSV

RSV season is upon us. Well, it started back in October, but it is here for its yearly duration. Here is my understanding of RSV in laymen's terms.

What is RSV? A bad head cold that affects the absorption of oxygen especially in children under the age of one. It does not typically hurt those that are older beyond the inconveniences and pain of a really bad cold.

What are the symptoms of RSV? Beyond being stuffed up and/or coughing, fatigue and lethargy accompanied by loss of appetite.

How is RSV diagnosed? A nose swab sent to the lab for testing (really specific, I know). The doctors can also run and oxygen measurement test to determine the oxygen saturation of the individual.

Why is RSV so dangerous? Loss of appetite accompanied by not eating hinders weight gain in infants. Low levels of oxygen saturation affect brain and motor function. Those who have experienced RSV in the first few months of life may manifest and/or experience asthmatic symptoms through age eight.

How do I know what I do about RSV? After Bekah was diagnosised with RSV at 5 weeks old I did my own research to determine what it was we were dealing with because all of the doctors and nurses were really vague in explaining what was going on.

Three days in the hospital watching your baby get her nose sucked out and have an oxygen tube across her face was absolutely no fun. The saddest part was that Bekah caught RSV at the end of May, long after RSV season is suppose to be over. Anyway, with so many friends having babies this winter I figured I would share a little bit of what I know about RSV.

For more information check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_respiratory_syncytial_virus.

No comments: