Today I felt pioneer-sh because I was doing a lot of domestic stuff that the pioneers would do. The major difference was that I had indoor plumbing and electricity to complete my tasks instead of needing to haul water (and break the ice), cook and boil water on a wood burning stove, and sew by hand.
I started the day with baths and a haircut. Then I made stew from scratch. All I had to do was assemble the ingredients as listed in the recipe and turn the crockpot on high for 5 hours. Then I made bread. After which I worked on a quilt and did some ironing. I am very grateful that I had electricity to help me in my tasks or it would have taken me twice as long to get everything done.
By the way, here is the stew recipe. It was absolutely delicious and super easy!
Beef Stew
3 carrots, cut up
3 potatoes, cut up
2 pounds beef chuck or stew meat, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes (I used a bone-less pork roast)
1 c water or beef stock
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic OR 1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika OR 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
3 onions, quartered OR 1/2 c chopped onions
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
1/2 tsp pepper
1 stalk celery with tops, cut up
Place all ingredients in crockpot in order listed. Cover and set to LOW for 10-12 hours or on HIGH 5-6 hours.
The Main Event
1 day ago

2 comments:
Sounds good. I love stew. In the winter I could eat a different stew everyday. I do my chicken soup the same way, but I leave out the worchestisire sauce. I am so glad for modern day inventions. Our life is so easy that way.
Wow, you are seriously inspirational. You did way more than I did today. I did take a nap, that accomplished something, right?
Post a Comment