20 April 2009

Bigotry at its Best

I went to the store this morning, after taking Bekah to the doctor, to pick up a few things. As I was picking out my last item I get verbally assaulted by this random lady. She tells me that I shouldn't talk to my children like that. I said, "Excuse me?" She replies, "You're kids are too cute for you to tell them to 'Shut up and sit down.' Can't you talk to them a different way?" Having never experienced this before I tell her that I have already tried it five times a different way and this is the only thing that works. To which she responds that she is going to call the police on me because if I treat them that way in public she "can only imagine how they are treated at home." Still trying to decide which ketchup to buy I tell her that they are treated the exact same way at home and she call the police if she wants to. Then we get to good part. She starts asking me if I have a temple recommend and that if I do I must have lied because the way I treat my children is one of the questions and I don't treat my children well enough to have temple recommend because she can see my garments. I promptly respond that that is none of her business and how many children does she have? She emphatically pats her chest and says that she has seven children like someone should give her a gold medal or something. To which I respond, "Well, I feel sorry for them," bend over and ask my children to "please get up," and coax them down the aisle to the checkout stands.

On top of all of her insane comments, the woman did not take time to even look at my children for brusing before starting to make accusations and threats. I am glad that I don't run into uneducated people like her every day or I think I would become a hermit. How can you judge someone to be abusive on a single incident? I mean, unless you see obvious bruising, hitting, or typical abusive responses going on. I do admit that I need to yell at my children less, but that does not mean I abuse my children. Research says so and since my children have been evaluated by a therapist, my therapist who is trained to recognize abuse or neglect, and determined to be functioning fine and not suffering at mine or my husband's hands I think that is a better indication of how my children are being treated than some woman's biased evaluation of a single incident with busy children in a grocery story.

I think the thing that bothers me the most was her self-righteous attitude about having some many children and questioning my temple-worthiness. As far as I know, "Do you yell at your children?" is not a temple recommend question and my doctor had just told me that I can start using timeouts with Bekah just like I do with Benjamin. If my doctor, who just saw my children and evaluated the health and well-being of my youngest is not worried about my parenting, I don't think the opinion of a complete stranger who can't mind her own business is worth much. I just wish that people would move beyond the idea that they have the right to judge someone else's worthiness status outside of a position of authority, especially when the general authorities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have told not it is not our right or something we should do.

Needless to say, it was an interesting and stressful visit to the grocery store.

6 comments:

Annie said...

I'm sorry, some people can be incredibly dumb. And if it makes you feel any better I don't think that telling your kids to sit down and shut up counts as yelling. Hope your day got better.

Jillian said...

ha ha ha I love it! I was in Target a while ago and I had Dean and he was in the cart part of the basket and I totally ran into one of the pillars that they so conveniently place in the middle of the isles so you cant get your cart around them because I was reading my shopping list and some dummy was like "you almost took his arm off! you need to watch where you are going!" she like snapped at me and I looked at her and said "Don't tell me how to drive my cart" and then she says I feel sorry for your kid if you don't pay attention in here who knows what you are like at home so I said lady do you have kids and she said yes I do and I said do they live here and she said no why? and I said because there is a reason why they moved away from you and its because your a jerk and I guarantee you are not a perfect mother so don't even try to tell me what kind of mother I am and she looked at me like she was so offended but hey it made her think about what she said. I do not like people that think they can just tell young people what to do or how to act like they are so experienced! it bugs me to no end! Every mom yells at their kids and tells them to shut up and if she thinks that we shouldn't do that well then she needs to take a look at all the undisciplined brats out there that are putting graffiti on things and selling drugs on the street because that is what an undisciplined kid does shes just dumb! and she should feel very lucky that I wasn't there because I would have told her to stick it where the sun don't shine and it probably wouldn't have been that nice ha ha

Meagan Rogers said...

I can't believe that lady! The temple recommend question. WOW!

LeBaron Family said...

Wow. I think I would have had some not nice words with that lady. I can't believe she would say something like that! Usually when another mother looks distressed or her child isn't listening and looks like she needs help I help out. And the fact about the temple recommend question! Geez. I think she needs to sit in a few more of those sessions and read her scriptures a bit more. But then I'm judging aren't I?
I think you handled the situation quite well and I'm sorry you had to deal with that!

mamademuchos said...

I am so sorry that happened to you. Nobody deserves that treatment, and from what I have observed of human behavior she probably has yelled at her kids more than once and reacted that way because of her own weaknesses and insecurities. Reflect on what is taught in Bonds that Make Us Free. In her world it was all about her not you.

Great come back though. I do not think quick like that. Wish I did.

love ya,
Aunt Daneece

Wendy said...

It is so much easier to get down off the high horse and come down to earth with the rest of us peasants. Some day that lady will get hers. I think the way you treat others is going to be huge in Heaven. Not sure you will have to see her there. Keep up the good work you are a great mom doing the best you can.
Not sure when it became strangers job to judge whether we are fit mothers or not. And the temple thing well thats between you the bishop and the Lord, just asking that says alot about her. If she ever left her little magical corner of the world she might be shocked at real abuse.