15 April 2009

Refinishing Furniture, Just in Time

I forgot to take before pictures of this little kitchenette. When we got this from Michael's sister it was peeling yellow paint and you could barely see the hardware under the grit and paint. At the beginning of last month I started the paint stripping process. I found 5 layers of paint and went through two cans of paint stripper to get down to the wood. After I was done chipping away at the paint I sanded all the surfaces down and scrubbed the paint and grit off of the hardware. Then I painted it with some mis-tinted paint I bought from Lowe's. (The mis-tints are super cheap, by the way.) Michael helped reinstall the hardware and I applied the vinyl flowers (the pink strip at the top of the kitchenette) and burners (see 2nd picture) to complete the project just in time for Bekah's 2nd birthday. Here is the finished product.




I couldn't wait to give it to her so we had her open up some of here birthday presents early so that she could fully enjoy her new "kitchen." She was delighted and I can't get her or her brother to stop playing with it. The only down side is that I don't think I am going to make this a new hobby. It takes a huge amount of time and energy to refinish something properly, but this project was definitely worth the effort I put into it.

4 comments:

Margot said...

Beautiful! I know you said this won't be a new hobby, but you are very good at this.

LeBaron Family said...

How cute! What a great idea to turn something like that into a kitchenette! Smart one!

Scott and Amme said...

So cute. YOu did a really good job!

Roger and Victoria said...

It looks great - you did an awesome job. So glad it was you and not me ;)...it would still be sitting in our garage. So glad your kids can love it!!!