20 May 2009

Playing Interpreter

Yesterday afternoon Bekah was insistent that she wanted to "Go 'Bela's. Animals." Baffled I tell her we can't go to the zoo because it will close soon and we can't go to the farm because it is raining outside. She repeats herself several times before I convince her to watch a movie while I go run my leftover errands from the weekend. (Dad is there to supervise if she or Benjamin needs anything since he works from.) I get home and Bekah tries again to communicate where it is she wants to go. Because she is trying so hard to communicate, I rack my brain trying to figure out what it is she is trying to say. Then I remember that Bekah likes to go to Cabela's and see the animal displays they have there. I ask her if she wants to go to "Cabela's" and she grins at me triumphantly, nods her head empathically, and says "Go 'Bela's. Animals." and grabs her shoes so that she can get ready to go. Glad that I have finally been able to interpret what it is she is trying to say, I tell her that we can go to Cabela's after dinner and after everyone eats their dinner we load up in the car to go to Cabela's. Playing interpreter is hard work sometimes but well worth it when I finally know what it is the children are trying to say.

No comments: