New Book or Friend: Attracted by the way it looks or sounds. I have to spend time getting to know the story or person before I know what they are really about. Occasionally, I do not like what I learn and terminate the relationship or downgrade it to casual acquaintance. Sometimes I am delightfully surprised to find out I really enjoy the relationship when my first impression was mild, neither good or bad just mild interesting. Other times, when I choose a book or friend I would not normally choose based on personal preferences I find a treasure I would have missed out on if I had not taken a chance on something different.
Old Book or Friend: Renew a relationship by visiting and sharing memories. I spend time with them because I enjoy their "company." I keep track of them because they are important to me.
Unreliable Book or Friend: I find I have difficulty separating myself from them. I keep hoping something good will happen or the ending will be different only to experience the same results over and over again. Sometimes I have to look for a teeny-tiny bit of good amidst the chaos to find a reason for continuing the relationship.
Bad/Offensive Book or Friend: I feel the need to terminate the relationship in order to protect my values, family, and personal worth. I do not value the person's or author's less as their choice to pursue their desired direction, I just do not want it to be a part of my life and feel the need to discontinue the relationship whether it is just developing or things have suddenly made a change for the worse.
Picture Book or (Vivid) Friend: I feel like I am swallowed up (in a very good way) in their brightness and vivid descriptions. The feeling of being surrounded by beauty and goodness I can almost reach out and touch (and in the case of a friend who likes hugs I can actually do it) is enveloping. The descriptions given of experiences are so realistic I feel like I have experienced the place and event myself. Often, I walk away feeling like I have been uplifted and shared in someone else's joy in such a way their joy has become mine.
Non-fiction Book or Friend: Someone or something that calls it like they see it. No fancy frills or sugar-coating, just direct and to the point about what the facts really are. Some are full of information on ways to improve a process, others show you how to do something. Some provide historical information about why things are done a certain way, others provide new ways to look at a problem or challenge. Some help with raising our children, others help us with cooking and cleaning. Some help with our cars and mechanical understanding, others help us solve math problems.
I love to read and I love having a variety of friends!
The Main Event
1 day ago

1 comment:
I love this post. I've never thought of the book/friend comparison.
Post a Comment