A friend of mine just moved into a brand new house that doesn't have window covers. Now I don't know why the builders didn't put frosted windows in the bathroom, but they didn't! So when we went to visit we got to talking about window coverings and I mentioned that we had the same problem in the bathroom of the house we are renting. She said that to put blinds in the bathroom windows it would cost about $200 or so. I told her that I put a bathroom cover in our window for less than $5. Thus, I am making this interesting post.
This is a picture of our bathroom window. The building you see is our detached garage. I love having light in the bathroom, but this window is in the shower and is just below my shoulder meaning it is an absolute must to have a curtain in order to maintain our privacy.
Here is the window with a curtain. Fabulous! You can't see outside and the neighbors can't see in. What I did was go to the dollar store (yes, I am way cheap) and bought a shower curtain. I figured that a shower curtain would be the best kind of curtain because it would not become mildewy as easily as some other fabrics, especially where the window is inside the shower stall. I cut the curtain out of the end of the shower curtain so that it was about 3 inches longer and 1.5 inches wider than the window. I turned down the top about 0.75 inches and hemmed it.
Then I used the rubber-footed rod that was in the window when we moved in (you can find these at any department store by the other curtain rods for less than $4) to hang the curtain on. And, Eureka! a bathroom curtain that doesn't have to be washed regularly that only cost $5 and about 2 hours of my time.

1 comment:
what a great idea! love it!
Post a Comment