For the last several years I have been trying to get into scrapbooking. I have hundreds of pictures and lots of cute ideas. I just don't find the time to sit down, get out all of the materials (or go buy the materials), and layout pictures for a few hours each day. Thus, blogging has become my scrapbook. (My apologies to any scrapbookers that this this may offend!) As soon as I have a page full of posts I print it off and put my posts in a binder. Then, when I have a page full of new posts I print it off again.
My theory is that I have the dates, pictures, and thoughts about what is going on in our life right now instead of trying to remember what is going on months or years from now. It also inspires me to regularly update the blog and take lots of pictures about what we are doing.
Eventually, I will go back and layout the pages and pictures nicely on a single page for each post. But, right now I am just grateful to have a written record with pictures for our family history. It is also nice to keep track of what we have shared with other people online.
Blogging has also helped me a lot with my depression. I have realized how many friends I DO have and that I have exciting things going on in my life, too. I found that one part of my depression was comparing myself to others, and because I wasn't keeping a visual record of what was going on in our lives I couldn't see all of the good things that are happening. It has also given me an outlet to keep up with other friends and family who are far away. (Thank you to everyone who shares their thoughts and comments.) I have come to realize that I am truly blessed. I have not conquered my depression yet, but I am making miles of progress now that I am getting some professional help.
Blogging has also become a type of journal for me as well. I update it regularly and look for things that I can share with others. It is great to actually share some of my joys with others right now instead of writing it down in hopes that it will someday be shared with posterity. This is also another reason that I print off my postings regularly, so that I can have a physical copy of what I am sharing now.
Thank you to all of you fellow bloggers for sharing this experience with me. It is a wonderful thing!
The Main Event
1 day ago

3 comments:
I'm so glad blogging has been therapeutic for you! I love reading all your updates about your cute kids and family. - Meagan
what a great idea to print off each page of posts. much easier than scrapbooking, and i have to agree that it takes up way too much time and money for me! :) blogging totally helps me feel more connected and upbeat than i do otherwise. i love seeing what you guys are up to!
Your family is so cute! It looks like you guys are always having fun and doing some thing! I'm jealous :) It's funny how we all compare ourselves and wish we had other things in life but little do we know that people actually think that about us and what we have :) Keep up the blogging I love it!
Post a Comment