09 August 2008

Harvest Time

My garden has grown, been taken over by weeds at least twice, been weeded and watered on a semi-regular basis, and produced much. I have over 40 cups of zucchini in the freezer, have made eight loaves of zuccini bread, given 20 zucchinis away, and have a ton more growing. (Moral of that story: only plant two zucchini plants instead of 6 to 10.) Here is some more zucchini that needs to be grated or cooked.



On Saturday, I harvested all of the carrots I planted, and yes, that is a five gallon bucket full of carrots. I also harvested the rest of the onions (another 5 pounds) and a few more zucchini. The people in our old ward smile and shake their heads when I show up with zucchini to give away, but at least I am able to share the fruits of my labor and now that they will be well used.


We are also starting to get tomatoes and we will be able to have corn next week. The pumpkins that are taking over the garden have about two dozen pumpkins actually growing (some are as big as basketballs and still green) and about that many more blossoms. I even found a couple of watermelon growing today. There are even a few peppers growing.
Everything I planted has grown and the only thing that has yet to produce vegetables are the cucumber plants. I feel greatly blessed to have so much growing and for the opportunity to grow a gardent. This year's success gives me the encouragement to try again next summer. Thank you, Michael for watching the children so that I could take care of the garden.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Way to go Charlynn. I gave up on gardening this year. The grass has taken over my garden spot and it is to hard to keep up with. I think I might try next year, if I can get the spot plowed in the fall.

Scott and Amme said...

You are amazing! I can't believe everything you have gotten. I know who to call now with my gardening questions. If I were there I would take some Zucchini off your hands to make bread with. Yummy.