10 November 2008

Elbow Update



I took these pictures today to demonstarte how much has changed in the last month. It has been exactly 31 days since I had surgery and my arm isn't as disgusting today as it was at day 10 after my surgery.


Today I was able to take my sling off. I am grateful for surgery because if I had chosen to pass on surgery I would either be in a cast or had a more difficult surgery at a later date. Surgery stablized my bone and made it possible for me to get the use of my hand and arm back. I was able to start using my hand 10 days after surgery and today I was told to use my arm. I am still to keep lifting to a minimum and I start Physical Therapy later this week to help me straighten my arm completely. My doctor is very pleased with the way my arm is healing and so am I.

I have gained a new appreciation for modern medicine. Had this happened only a few years ago I would not have had the opportunity for such an effective procedure and regained the use of my arm so swiftly. I still have a ways to go because I can only straighten and bend my arm 3/4 of the way in either direction, but the pain is gone except for when I bump my elbow on something or twist my arm the wrong way. The healing process is going well and we pray that it will continue to do so.

No comments: