- I see more good and opportunity in life than drudgery and troubles.
- I yell less than 5 times a day instead of yelling all day long.
- I find constant joy in being a wife in mother instead of hating being bound to my home and family.
- I find reasons to live instead of wanting to die.
- I take time for myself and realize that it is okay. I take better care of my family and home when I take time each day to care for myself.
- I want to get out of the house every day, with my children, and I usually succeed.
- My handicap is an opportunity to expand my way of doing things and ask for help instead of a trap.
- I realize that if I don't like the way I was taught to do something I can figure out a different way to do things that I like and that is okay.
- I realize that someone is not looking over my shoulder all of the time monitoring what I do and accomplish every day. I can set my own goals and standards.
- I have learned that I get a lot done every day, but some things are a lot more time consuming then others so the list of accomplishments may be short some days but the same amount of time is invested as when the list is long.
- I worry a lot less.
- I enjoy my husband's company and contributions around the house more.
- I can endure whiny and demanding children with less resentment and emotional trauma. In fact, ignoring the whining reduces it and keeps my blood pressure down.
- I realize that I am a capable human being and I do not need to measure who I am and what I do by what I think someone else is or what they are doing.
- I realize that beating myself up for all the things I "should" be doing is unhealthy and unproductive.
- I have become less judgemental of myself and others.
I am grateful for the help I have received from friends, my husband, and my therapist and the support and understanding I have received from a variety of other sources. I have come a long way in the last year and am finally seeing the light of each new day. I know this is not the end because I will likely face bouts of depression throughout my life. I now have the tools to conquer my depression more effectively and productively.

3 comments:
Wow! I am really happy for you, Charlynn. I remember being worried about you about 9 months ago but I had no idea it was so bad. I am glad you are recovering and are more happy and satisfied with your life.
I think that # 5 is important for any one to remember. Whether you have depression or not. It is important to have time to yourself.
And I like your #13. I only have a 6 month old but I have already found that if I ignore her crying when I can't do anything about it (like when I'm driving) then I feel much better than when I worry about her crying. And I'm sure the same applies to when when she is able to talk and starts whining at me.
I am glad that you are feeling better and that you are willing to share your experiences with us.
Yes, thank you for sharing. You are such an example. Just take things day by day. And let me know if I can do anything for you. Aaron talks about your kids all the time and says, "Is that Bet-ty?" like your little guy did at our reception. :) We need to get together. Or if you guys need a date alone, let us know. :)
Post a Comment