17 March 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'm not Irish, but I like holidays so today we celebrated St. Patrick's Day with a traditional Irish dish and lots of green.

I started the day by making green eggs and ham (secret: add blue food coloring to eggs before cooking), green milk, and then we made sure everyone was wearing a little bit of green. Later in the day we made green Cake Mix Cookies from a french vanilla cake mix, 2 eggs, 1/4 c olive oil, green food coloring and chocolate chips (baked at 350 F for 8 to 10 minutes). Finally, for dinner we had Corned Beef and Cabbage. I tried cooking corned beef several years ago for St. Patrick's day and since the instructions are on the package and it comes with a seasoning packet it is super easy (the hardest part is remembering that it takes about an hour per pound to cook) and is now a tradition for our family.

The children were delighted with the cookies and dinner, Benjamin and Bekah really liked the corned beef. Though the eggs surprised them this morning, mostly because we woke them up a little early so we could eat breakfast as a family before Dad left for work.

May the luck of the Irish be with you! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: