28 March 2011

It Takes a Village to Raise a Child

Not exactly the same title as the book by Georgia A. Davis, but I have to give her credit because the title of her book makes me think about what it takes to raise a child. I am now learning that its not that the village itself is raising and directly influencing the child, the village is helping the parents with raising their children.

When I first started having and raising children I felt so alone on trying to figure it out. I felt like I didn't have a variety of resources available to draw from and I wanted to be careful what influences my child experienced on a regular basis. Now, I am truly rediscovering the comfort and help that comes from having a strong support system and friends who have a variety of experiences in raising their children at the same time I am using mine.

Benjamin has been struggling at school lately. Mostly he has been struggling with keeping his hands to himself and expressing frustration correctly. Unlike when Benjamin or Bekah were brand new, I now have quite a few friends I can rely on who share our parenting style. It is such a relief to have some who doesn't tell you what to do, but shares ideas on what they found worked for them with their children and the challenges of being a parent. It is also comforting to know that others struggle with similar challenges in raising children instead of feeling like no one knows what you are going through because you aren't connected to others like you want to be.

I am grateful for family who give their support and ideas from afar, but every day I am just as thankful that our "village" is expanding with people we can rely on and trust with the challenges of being a parent. I would have to say that it takes the help and support of a "village" to raise a child without losing yourself or your sanity. Thank you, to all of you who are part of our village.

No comments: